Fear of Eyes: Scopophobia is the irrational fear among the individual of being watched in front of his eyes, camera or being photographed. The Scopophobia has another name as Scoptophobia. A Scopophobic person gets nervous in the public or in the open place when he finds that someone is watching him. The level of anxiety would automatically be increased when they exposed to the camera. The camera allows the focus on a Scopophobic person. They experience negative effects of being watched as they are not able to escape from the room or home because when they are out How it would be possible that no one stares them. The mental condition of an individual is lethal who have fear of the camera, fear of being watched, fear of attention, fear of being stared, fear of being looked, fear of being seen, etc.
What is the fear of always being watched?
Scopophobia is the phobia or fear of the camera, fear of being watched, fear of attention, fear of being stared, fear of being looked, fear of being seen, etc. among individual. Scopophobia is a Greek word and has roots of Greek meaning in it “Skopein” it means to examine or look while “Phobos” means irrational fear from someone or something.
The Scophphobic person has an intense fear of being watched in front of someone eyes or camera nowadays all the time. They feel extreme difficulty in the public places, the family gets together, party, workplace. Public speaking and teaching are one of the toughest jobs for a Scopophobic person to perform.
Complete List of Phobia- Complete List of Phobia
Phobia of long words – Phobia of Long Words
Phobia of Height – Acrophobia
Phobia of Sharp Objects – Aichmophobia
Phobia of cats – Ailurophobia
Phobia of Crowd – Enochlophobia
What are the Other Phobias Similar to Fear of Attention?
We have covered Agoraphobia in our previous post. Agoraphobia is one of the weird and worst phobias exist on the earth in which people feel extreme fear when they come into public places they feel fear in the presence of strangers.
The person may feel fear in a different situation:
- Fear of leaving the house,
- Fear of going outside,
- Fear of small spaces,
- Fear of wide open spaces,
- Fear of being trapped,
- Fear of leaving home,
- Fear of public places,
- Pear of crowds,
- Public transit,
- Shopping center,
- Outside their home,
- Open space,
- Closed space
What are the causes of Fear of Being Stared?
Fear of being Stared may have different reasons to occur in an individual like a negative experience, genetic, etc. Let’s understand the causes of fear of being stared in detail.
- Negative Experiences: Negative Experiences are one of the top causes of fear of being stared. A negative experience like Jalian Wala Bagh Massacre may be the reason for the children and adults to feel physical security threats towards himself. If you watch an accident in which patient got serious injury then you may develop negative stereotypes for the strangers.
- Learned Experiences: The peoples who suffer from another phobia like Agoraphobia, Acrophobia, Personality Disorders, and another Social phobia may develop symptoms of fear of strangers, etc.
- Severe Mental Disorders are also responsible for the development of phobia of being photographed.
- Neurological causes to trigger fear of being watched in the individuals.
What are the possible Symptoms of Fear of Being Watched- Scoptophobia?
Scoptophobia is the fear of attention in which you will avoid every possible instance in which you will get special attention. The phobia of being watched especially scares the people who are teachers, celebrities, sports person, public speakers. The symptoms will depend on person to person and severity to the phobia.
- You feel anxious when you will be in the spotlight
- Increased heartbeat
- Shortness of breath
- You avoid being exposure of strangers in the public places.
- You feel emotional and physical threat when confronted towards strangers
- You may develop some personality disorder or social phobia.
- You will hardly pose in front of a camera
- You will be fearful of the camera
- You are not ready to become the spotlight of the public gathering.
- Travel to the workplace and other places would become impossible for you.
- Blushing is the common symptoms of fear of being watched.
How to overcome Scopophobia? Treatment
Scopophobia is the specific phobia because when an individual is in public places or private places in front of strangers then the physical threats are not there. A Scopophobic person has through which frightens him/her. There is no hard and fast rule to getting over a fear of being watched but therapies and medication are the possible treatment option for a Scopophobic person.
The treatment options are
- Exposure therapy
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Hypnotizing therapy
There are no hard and fast rules for getting appropriate treatment option while reading on the web. Here we provide general information about the phobias and other mental disorders so you need to discover a good mental health professional for the treatment and organize the counseling sessions for you.
How Scopophobia have bad impacts on the life of Different Peoples?
Scopophobia has a bad impact on the life of the individual regardless of the profession he had. When you bring in touch with these irrational fear of being stared at your personal life and professional life both get affected.
A sportsperson is the one who plays for the country. He is also the heartbeat of countrymen. Can a sports person assume life with no stranger? He has to give interviews for a reporter, play with different teams, around the crowd full of strangers all the time. It would be a great loss for the sports person and the management committee to lose the personality from Scopophobia.
A public speaker is a spotlight for the new audience every day. If he scared of strangers, fear of being watched fear of being photographed how would be able to give effective speaking in front of an audience. He may lose his professional career because of silly things which are curable in a short span of time.
Prime Minister and Political
Prime Minister and political leaders are the spotlights of media agencies they have to answer for queries of reporter and public. If he will fearful of being Photographs and in front of the camera how the country will grow. The concerns are many for the political leaders, they are responsible for the country growth.